Saturday, March 5, 2011

Awaiting Spring

"March arrives, the last hurrah of winter and the first whisper of spring. Slowly our spirits reawaken, along with the natural world, from the long winter's slumber."
-Sarah Ban Breathnach


It's raining today, and I looked outside the window to see a glimpse of grass! Who knew a tiny patch of grass in my backyard could be cause for such elation. I anxiously await springs arrival like a child waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve. That first gale of warm breeze in March is eagerly anticipated and a late spring will surely send me into misery. I'm planning to greet the season with open arms and here are some ideas for this month to savour the seasonal spleandours.




Check out your front yard or back, or your friends, find some bare branches to start forcing. Good options are: forsythia, flowering quince, cherry, plum, pear, magnolia and pussy willow Read more at Marthastewart.com: Forcing Branches - Martha Stewart Home and Garden



Make yourself a bright new spring wreath for your front door, I made this one last year however I have some ideas developing for a new one this year! Blog to come!


Get out your Martha Stewart Homekeeping book and your cleaning bucket, I have this book and there is a list of spring cleaning ideas among thousands of other ideas to caring for your home. Make room for spring, organize closets, scrub the salt stains of winter away. Or, simply check out this link for some ideas.



http://www.marthastewart.com/article/spring-cleaning-checklist


Host a spring dinner party for friends or just for your family serving something seasonal like this recipe for Individual Lasagnas with Asparagus & Prosciutto that I found on http://www.williams-sonoma.com/ and then for dessert...this fruity Pig Cake I found on my favourite pioneer woman websitehttp://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/pig-cake/



Create a beautiful spring centre piece like this one using some simple daffodils in a hurricane vase. Lovely! (source: entertain exchange)


No comments:

Post a Comment