Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Exactly Perfect" Oatmeal Banana Muffins

I discovered that I have a loyal and faithful baking sidekick in my daughter Ruby. She delights in helping spoon in each and every teaspoon, and whisking each egg with pure concentration. I swear sometimes I wonder whose child she is. She is very focused and precise and neither Alex or I are very focused or precise. She loves to make things just right, and says things like "there mommy, it's exactly perfect."





If you saw our house here most days you would know that perfectionists do not run the show over here. Ruby is going to keep us all in line I think. Precise or not, she is just 3 years old so it got a bit messy and the ingredients weren't necessarily added in the exact measurement but I wanted her to feel like she was really a part of the whole process. Ruby and I both agreed that the final product was "exactly perfect..." and absolutely delish. I wanted to share the recipe. I personally like to make mini-muffins, they are good for little hands and great with my tea in the afternoon.







Oatmeal-Banana Muffins


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium sized extra-ripe)


*Note* I also like to add about a 1/2 teaspoon of poudre douce or as Jalen calls it "pook-a-ma-goose." Poudre douce is a delicious spice blend of cinnamon/nutmeg type flavours, it smells like apple pie. I first came across it at a home party for Epicure. http://www.epicureselections.com/en/ If you don't have poudre douce then a dash of cinnamon in your muffins will also be lovely :)

Directions
Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt.(poudre douce or cinnamon)
In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the mashed banana, and stir well.



Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line a 12-cup muffin tin or 24 mini-cup muffin tin with paper bake cups or grease lightly with butter, and divide the batter among them.
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.

Happy Baking,

No comments:

Post a Comment