Sunday, January 29, 2012

My weight loss journey: 15 pounds!


So I dropped 12 pounds quickly after the juice cleanse. I was worried I was going to quickly gain it all back because of my sheer excitement to just be able to eat "real food" again. The last couple days of the cleanse i can best describe as miserable and torturous, and if I'm honest I bailed 2 days early. The first morning after the cleanse i ate a whole wheat pita with natural peanut butter and it felt sinful and tasted delicious. I savoured each bite, vowing to never go on a juice cleanse ever again.
Now that some time has passed, i have made peace with the juice and i am still enjoying juicing and eating lots of fruits and vegetables. The difference being, i have incorporated other low sugar, high fibre carbs and healthy fats into the mix. Overall, I feel better but it is very hard everyday to make the better choices. Having three kids, and a baby that STILL does not sleep through the night, i often wake up exhausted. The day is busy, we are on the go and its hard to keep myself on track. I've learned that I have to make me a priority and that will make me a happier and better mom for my kids. We went to Mc Donald's playplace the other day for a playdate and a coffee. Feeling the need for a snack I thought, I'll get one of those low-fat muffins with my coffee. I asked for a nutritional information sheet and scanned it for the calorie count. I was shocked to find out that the low-fat muffin had as much fat as a double cheeseburger. FYI, the slimsations cranberry orange muffin has 380 calories! When you are trying to consume less than 1000 calories in an entire day, a nearly 400 calorie snack is not a good choice for those who are not familiar with calorie counting and dieting.
The journey continues, and I don't really have a specific magic formula of what I'm doing. Here are a few things that I am doing right now:
1. Cutting my usual portions in half. Whatever portion I would normally eat I am eating less. Choosing a side plate as opposed to the dinner plate, helps to keep dinner portions down.
2. Half the plate is vegetables and fruit, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb. I don't get a measuring tape out or draw lines or anything, that's just the basic idea.
3. All carbs I consume are high fibre (at least 4 grams or more) and low sugar ( under 5 grams) Good choices are, ryvita crackers, all bran, whole wheat english muffins, weight watchers whole wheat tortillas.
4. For those of you who are new to a low-sugar diet (sugar is calories, sugar leads to belly fat) Milk has heaps of sugar! Now before you go switching to soy milk as an alternative, there are many soy milks with lots of sugar too! Find an unsweetened original soy milk. Starbucks has soymilk for your coffee but its about fifty cents more. I buy this one at home and my kids have it in their cereal in the morning and they never noticed the switch from cow's milk at all.
Good Luck to everyone else that are trying to shed those extra pounds with me, I look forward to hearing how you are all doing! Will keep you posted....Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment